Flooding in Basement can happen regardless of your home’s history. The common times for water to seep into your basement are during heavy rainfall, melting snow and/or the spring thaw. It is critical to understand how flooding in basement occurs in order to avoid it.
Flooding in basement can happen due to the following reasons:
- Any crack in your home’s foundation, basement walls, basement windows, basement door,
- Improper drainage,
- Ground that slopes towards the foundations,
- Broken weeping tile system A.K.A. foundation drains,
- Clogged eavestroughs, which leads to water overflow,
- Clogged and/or cracked downspouts,
- Degrading sewer pipe,
- A blockage between your homes sewer pipe and the main city sewer pipe,
- An overflow or wastewater,
- Sump pump failure, which is used to pump away weeping tile water.
Ontario Downspout Service has some great tips that can help you reduce the likelihood that you’re basement will flood:
- Ground slopes away from your home’s foundation, while remaining mindful of your neighbours,
- Seal all cracks, openings in walls, floors, windows and foundations,
- Clear eavestroughs and downspouts of all debris that impede proper drainage,
- Adhere to Mandatory Downspout Disconnection Bylaw,
- Ensure disconnected downspouts are draining properly and away from your home’s foundation,
- Install landscaping to help absorb rainwater and melted snow,
- Repair/replace damaged weeping tile systems,
- Insert sewer connection backwater valves,
- Install a basement sump pump,
- Avoid pouring grease into your drains.
Ontario Downspout Service
Our goal at Ontario Downspout Service is to make your experience with us as carefree and enjoyable as possible.
Contact us today at 1.888.666.5202 for your free quote.